Friday, November 22, 2013

Life Lessons for Megan

I'm posting right now because Mark won't let me watch Thuroughly Modern Millie! Again!! So I decided that I will blog.
I have had many experiences here that I should've posted about but this one today has been on my mind and as usual I want to know what you all think of things, and this is easier than 7 different conversations.
So as usual I was at the store, most of my encounters happen at the store.  It's amazing to me that if you make up your mind to meet people and talk to people you really don't need to go too many places out of your routine.  So I'm walking into the grocery store and I see this elderly man that's moving at a snails pace and has a cane.  And I couldn't just pretend like I didn't see him and just walk by, like so  many people seemed to do.  So I walked over and asked if I could get him a wheelchair which he declined, so I said "Good, I wanted to walk with you anyway". And that's how easy it is folks.  Then since we were moving at a glacial speed and at the back of the parking lot I got to learn this lovely man's life story.  He proceeded to tell me that he had been a godless man most of his life and had recently found religion in the last 10 years with the Presbyterian church.  He's from New Jersey and knew a little of Utah but didn't think much of it and Mr.Romney, which I am used to.  As earlier discussed I don't take offense to stuff like that.  But he continued to tell me that when he heard about God breathing life into bones in the desert it hit him like a ton of bricks.  In my mind I was like, "What?" "Bones?" "Desert?" what just happened?  I am not familiar with many religions but I don't remember any bones in the desert, unless it belongs to velociraptors, but I digress. We mostly discussed that youngsters these days aren't going to "heck" like everyone thinks.  That children and young adults these days if anything are braver and stronger then us.  And I think he hit the nail right on the head.  While I have no idea about any of the religious stuff he was saying, he was totally right about that. He mentioned a president that believed that we have to trust that our children will do what is right when we are gone. He said it better and obviously I have already forgotten what president it was. But that was the jist of it.  But it's true we have to teach our children and trust that we've taught them well enough that they'll make the right decisions.  And on a similar topic, President Monson says that we shouldn't underestemate a child's ability to learn and understand the Book of Mormon.  Which I am now constantly reminded of when we read the scriptures with Jocelyn. Sometimes we think she's not listening only to find out that it's Mark and I that haven't been listening. I really have no point to this ramble but just wanted to point out what I learned today. Love you all. Gotta run I'm going to see the Hunger Games with the girls in the neighborhood! Should be fun, but it's always difficult for me to stay up later than 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment